woensdag 15 april 2015

Things are not alive

Everybody is fine in our family, which is more than can be said for many other people and families we know and have come across the last few months.

It's been strange.

Today I realized something. Something that has been nagging at me. See, I don't like to think of people, or relationships, getting cracks and breaks and fault lines. I like them perfect, perfectly healthy, perfectly happy, perfect in each and every respect.

And I realized that is because I equate cracks and breaks and fault lines with material things: things that break, tear and smash into smithereens. These things can be put together but will never be quite the same. Will never be quite as good.

What I realized today: people are not things. People are alive.

None of us get out alive, and none of us get out unscathed. We all bear the scars of living, of disappointment, of sadness, of rage, of hurt.

I have a scar on my thumb. I love that scar. I got it when I was sixteen and we had to disect a chicken in my biology class. Except the teacher had forgotten to get the chicken out of the freezer in time, so they were still frozen solid and the knife slipped and I cut my thumb instead and the girl in front of me turned around and screamed "It's still alive" when she saw the blood bubbling out of the carcass. But it was my blood bubbling into the carcass.

Our scars do not diminish us. The fault lines in our relationships do not make them less strong. The times we disappoint our children do not diminish our love for them, or their love for us.

Because these are living things, and those can heal and grow. They are not determined by any single state of being, whereas material things are. They can be perfect. They can shine in museums, untouchable, unblemished, utter perfection.

Human beings can never be perfect.

We are alive. Our scars become integral parts of us. We change. We learn. We can be many things. And just because we are scarred, and criss-crossed with fault lines, and broken and put back together, it doesn't mean we are worth less. It doesn't mean we are worth more. We will never be as good as new. But we will always go on.

Nothing more, nothing less. We get to live.

8 opmerkingen:

  1. Hello Everybody,
    My name is Mrs Sharon Sim. I live in Singapore and i am a happy woman today? and i told my self that any lender that rescue my family from our poor situation, i will refer any person that is looking for loan to him, he gave me happiness to me and my family, i was in need of a loan of S$250,000.00 to start my life all over as i am a single mother with 3 kids I met this honest and GOD fearing man loan lender that help me with a loan of S$250,000.00 SG. Dollar, he is a GOD fearing man, if you are in need of loan and you will pay back the loan please contact him tell him that is Mrs Sharon, that refer you to him. contact Dr Purva Pius,via email:(urgentloan22@gmail.com) Thank you.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen

  2. Do you need Personal Loan?
    Business Cash Loan?
    Unsecured Loan
    Fast and Simple Loan?
    Quick Application Process?
    Approvals within 24-72 Hours?
    No Hidden Fees Loan?
    Funding in less than 1 Week?
    Get unsecured working capital?
    Contact Us At :oceancashcapital@gmail.com
    Website http://oceancashmj.com
    Phone number :+1-6474-864-724 (Call/Whats app)

    LOAN SERVICES AVAILABLE INCLUDE:
    ================================
    *Commercial Loans.
    *Personal Loans.
    *Business Loans.
    *Investments Loans.
    *Development Loans.
    *Acquisition Loans .
    *Construction loans.
    *Business Loans And many More:

    LOAN APPLICATION FORM:
    =================
    Full Name:................
    Loan Amount Needed:.
    Purpose of loan:.......
    Loan Duration:..
    Gender:.............
    Marital status:....
    Location:..........
    Home Address:..
    City:............
    Country:......
    Phone:..........
    Mobile / Cell:....
    Occupation:......
    Monthly Income:....

    Contact Us At :oceancashcapital@gmail.com
    Website http://oceancashmj.com
    Phone Number:+1-6474-864-724 (Call/Whats app)

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen